Creamed spinach is back on the menu! This preparation yields a delicious, particularly creamy creamed spinach. I recommend avoiding omission of the garlic, as this increases the coconut flavor from the milk- one that I don’t find pairs particularly well with spinach. The garlic balances these flavors out nicely. I imagine this recipe would also work well with almond milk, perhaps with the addition of extra flour since almond milk is a bit thinner than coconut milk. If you happen to try it and make any modifications to this recipe, please be sure to let me know!
You Will Need:
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1lb fresh baby spinach
- coconut oil, or preferred cooking oil
- freshly minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8oz coconut milk
- 1-2TBSP all purpose flour
- Heat a small dollop of coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. In this pan, cook the diced onion until soft and translucent. Stir in garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes, or until garlic begins to brown slightly. Do not burn the garlic!
- Stir in spinach, salt and pepper, and cook until spinach is completely wilted.
- Whisk 1-2TBSP of all purpose flour into chilled or room temperature coconut milk. Be sure to do this before adding the milk to the pan to avoid lumps. Whisk until blended smooth.
- Add coconut milk and flour mixture to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the sauce has thickened considerably. About 3/4 of the sauce should evaporate.