I bet you’re thinking, “No way I can eat Swedish meatballs!” Well guess what?! Yes you can! This heartwarming recipe took me right back to childhood. It has all the delight of traditional Swedish meatballs with significantly less fat- and, you guessed it- allergen free! Add this recipe to your weekly rotation- you certainly won’t be disappointed!
You Will Need:
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 3TBSP cooking oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 ‘egg’ worth of commercial egg replacer
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried minced onions (optional)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1.5 c plain coconut milk
- 1 c cool water
- 3 TBSP all purpose flour
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together entire first list of ingredients, minus the cooking oil. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- Roll the meat mixture into small to medium meatballs. Recipe should yield a dozen meatballs or more.
- When oil is hot, arrange meatballs in pan. Cook until browned on all sides, turning every 5 minutes or so.
- Tent pan with tinfoil or a vented lid and reduce heat.
- While the meatballs finish cooking, boil your favorite noodles in salted water, then begin preparing sauce.
- For sauce, whisk flour into cool water and add to coconut milk once smooth. Add remaining ingredients in the second list and heat until bubbling over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Continue stirring until sauce begins to bubble and thicken. Spoon all of the fat drippings from the meatball pan and add it to the saucepan. Continue stirring until sauce is thickened.
- Spoon sauce over salted noodles and meatballs. Serve alongside a green salad and enjoy!