With the holidays right around the corner (hello, Thanksgiving!), it seemed the appropriate time for rice pudding. My daughter loves the way her grandpa makes rice pudding, but alas, it is not vegan! Whether you’re looking for breakfast or dessert, this new take on an old recipe is sure to please!
You Will Need:
- 3/4 c uncooked white rice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 c white sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp poppy seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp orange zest (or lemon)
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 c raisins (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Boil the milk and water. Add rice and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in seasonings. If rice thickens too much, add additional coconut milk. Stir in raisins.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, stirring occasionally.
- When rice is nearing room temperature, stir in vanilla extract and any additional add-ins if desired.* Serve warm or chilled. Enjoy!
*NOTE: Good ideas for add-ins include dried cranberries, chopped walnuts, chopped or slivered almonds, and golden raisins. Experiment to find what tastes best to you and your family!