Fresh tomatoes are served warm with a soft breadcrumb topping in this traditional Italian recipe. Heirloom tomatoes make for a truly spectacular accompaniment to poultry or lightly seasoned seafood.
You Will Need:
- 3-4 Ripe Heirloom Tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 6 asparagus spears, ends trimmed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread 1tbsp olive oil across bottom of a small baking dish.
- Slice tomatoes in half and arrange in baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss breadcrumbs with remaining olive oil and seasonings. Spoon over tomatoes.
- Lay asparagus spears in pan alongside tomatoes- drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Garnish tomatoes with parsley flakes and bake for 10-15 minutes until tomatoes are tender. Broil for an additional 2-3 minutes until topping is golden brown.
- Serve hot and enjoy!