This simple dish features stewing beef simmered in a rich and flavorful sauce featuring the robust flavors of balsamic vinegar, steak sauce, and fragrant herbs. Serve over steamed white rice and alongside a green salad topped with your favorite dressing for a meal that’s sure to warm you on the coldest winter night.
You Will Need:
- 1.5 lb stewing beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil (can sub. canola oil)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup beef broth (plus extra if needed)
- Splash of steak sauce, such as A1
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Chop stewing beef into even-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Combine onions, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, red wine, steak sauce, garlic, thyme, and chili powder. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Season meat evenly with salt and pepper.
- Toss meat with marinade. Cover and allow to marinade for 30 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes or as top of meat begins to appear dry.
- Heat 1TBSP cooking oil in a large pan over medium heat. When pan is hot, add meat and marinade.
- Cook for approximately 5 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Reduce heat to a fast simmer and cover, stirring occasionally. Allow meat to cook for 30-45 minutes, or until fork-tender. Add beef broth if meat becomes dry- you want some sauce.
- Continue cooking uncovered until sauce is reduced and thickened. If sauce refuses to thicken, feel free to add 1tsp cornstarch, though this should not happen.
- Serve hot over steamed white rice, seasoned with salt and pepper, and enjoy!