Recently diagnosed with a nickel allergy, I find myself with no starches in my house I am able to eat. Save for a massive bag of corn meal. Time to whip up a batch of polenta! This polenta is rich and creamy, and can easily be flavored with your favorite additives. Onions, red onions, and garlic are some ideas of great stir-ins to enhance the flavor of your polenta. Enjoy!
You Will Need:
- 6 cups water
- 1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp soy free margarine
- 1 cup coconut milk, plain
- Boil water in a large saucepan. When a rolling boil is reached, reduce heat to low and measure out cornmeal.
- Gradually stir in cornmeal, beating the contents of the pot rapidly with a wire whisk. Really put your wrist into it- stirring too slowly will result in lumps.
- When cornmeal is distributed throughout the pot, add seasonings and continue to cook at a low simmer, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes, or until polenta is thick.
- Stir in coconut milk and cook for an additional 60 seconds. Flavor as desired or serve plain.