This particular caramel corn recipe is reminiscent of fairgrounds and greasy carnival food. Delightfully crunchy, sweet, and just a tad salty, this popcorn is deceptively simple to make and is sure to be a real crowd pleaser.
You Will Need:
- 5 quarts popped popcorn- or 3 standard size bags of popcorn
- 1 cup vegan margarine
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Place popped popcorn in a very large bowl. Use two bowls if necessary, leaving room to stir the popcorn around later.
- In a medium nonstick pot, melt butter.
- When butter is completely melted, add brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Stir constantly until boiling, then boil without stirring for 4 minutes– set a timer to avoid overcooking.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 250 degrees and grease two cookie sheets.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Stir in baking soda. The caramel will quickly change color and turn thick, so don’t be too surprised! This really caught me off guard!
- Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.
- Divide popcorn between the two cookie sheets and place in the oven. Bake for one hour, stirring every fifteen minutes. Halfway through, switch around the pans so each get a chance to be on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before breaking into pieces. Store in an airtight container and try not to eat it all at once!